If you are starting a blog, the first thing you need is a hosting and a domain
What is Hosting?
A web hosting service is a type of Internet hosting service that allows individuals and organizations to make their website accessible via the World Wide Web. In other words, hosting is a piece of land of internet world and domain is you address of that land.
Types of Hosting
Before purchasing a Hosting, you need to understand the types of hosting.
There are mainly three types of hosting, which are as follows :
- Dedicated Server
- Virtual Private server (VPS)
- Shared hosting
1. Dedicated Server
A dedicated hosting service, dedicated server, or managed hosting service is a type of Internet hosting in which the client leases an entire server not shared with anyone else. Dedicated servers are typically used to host high-traffic websites, web applications, and for other hosting scenarios where performance is paramount. Here is an example, Your website is growing and needs to be able to handle an increase in traffic. Security is a concern for your website. You’d like your page loading times to be as optimal as possible, then you need a dedicated server for hosting.
2. Virtual Private Server (VPS)
A virtual private server is a virtual machine sold as a service by an Internet hosting service. The virtual dedicated server also works in a virtualized environment but some CPU cores are dedicated for it, which is not the case with VPS. A VPS, or virtual private server, is a form of multi cloud hosting in which server resources are made available to an end user over the internet via a cloud or web hosting provider. Each VPS is installed on a machine, operated by the cloud or hosting provider, that runs multiple VPSs.
A virtual private server (VPS) is a virtual machine sold as a service by an Internet hosting service. The virtual dedicated server (VDS) also works in a virtualized environment but some CPU cores are dedicated for it, which is not the case with VPS.
3. Shared Hosting
Shared web hosting is a common hosting platform, mainly use by individuals and small business companies.
A shared web hosting service is a web hosting service where many websites reside on one web server connected to the Internet. This is generally the most economical option for hosting, as the overall cost of server maintenance is spread over many customers. Shared hosting is easily the cheapest and most economical option for your needs to host a website. However, the cheap price comes with limitations. Since most hosting companies will offer the same amount of space and storage it’s important to choose a company you can trust.
Advantages of share hosting
- The cheapest hosting option you’re going to have available. The usual price for this style of hosting will range from $2.99-$9.99.
- Most hosting companies have multiple levels of hosting available, so you can upgrade your hosting package with time. This makes shared hosting a great place to start.
- Shared hosting usually comes equipped with a built-in cPanel, which makes it easy to manage your site.
- No technical maintenance needs to be done on your end to the server, as this is usually included in part of your hosting package.
Disadvantages of share hosting
- The load time can be a bit slower than dedicated servers.
- The server can become exhausted by other sites that are sharing the server.
- As your site begins to receive higher levels of traffic you’ll begin to notice that your site might begin to perform much worse.
- System crashes: As I explained earlier, shared hosting is all about sharing the host server for many websites
- There’s a lack of customization options to truly get the highest level of performance from your website.
Price of Hosting
Price of hosting may differs from one hosting company to other and the type of hosting plan you choose. Shared hosting packages currently cost an average of $ 4- $ 10 / month. Sometimes, providers offer promotions or discounts, so you should take advantage of this. The hosting should be rented for 1 year because the fee is usually much cheaper compared to 3 or 6 months package.
Common Web Hosting Problems And How To Avoid Them
- Slow Website Loading and Navigation Speed : A large volume of unoptimized images is usually the most common reason behind website slowness. High-resolution images can consume lots of bandwidth while loading. Uploading larger sized images and then scaling them down can unnecessarily increase the size of your web page – causing your website to load slowly.
- So, how much does it cost to host a website? Shared hosting (the cheapest kind) costs $2.49 – $15/month, and dedicated hosting (the most expensive kind) costs $80 – $730/month. But there are a lot of options in between. There are several different types of hosting to choose from, and many different variables at play.
- Too Much Time in Resolving Web Hosting Problems : The technical reason for resolving host issue is that the DNS servers configured by your Internet Service Provider (ISP) takes long time to find a mapping IP address for the URL you have entered. This is probably due to change in ISP or change in DNS settings by your ISP.
- Low Level of Security Provided by the Web Hosting Company : On a practical level, shared hosting means you can be affected by someone else’s mess. If other sites on your server choose to use weak security measures or fail to regularly update their plugins, your site will suffer the consequences of slowdowns, downtime and even injected code and added attack files.
That’s why I chose HostGator.