whatever you need to know about domain name and how to buy a domain name.
If you want to start writing a blog, all you need is to know how to buy a domain name and web hosting for your website. To allow everyone to view your new site, you first have to assign a domain name to it. This process should not take a lot of time even if you’re a beginner. All you have to do is to decide on the website name and pay for it.
What is a domain name?
A domain name is a kind of text string which identifies your location on the internet.
Every website on the internet has an IP address. These addresses point to a website’s location — think of them like GPS coordinates. The IP address, which is generally a set of numbers, usually resembles something like this: 188.8.131.52.. Domain names are used in URLs to identify particular Web pages. if your website was a house, then your domain name will be its address. Instead, you can visit it by typing an easy to remember domain name in your browser’s address bar.
When someone types a domain into a browser like chrome or mozilla, it gets routed through a DNS server. That server translates the name to figure out which IP address it points to. Then it grabs the data for that website and delivers it to the browser. This process happens in a matter of seconds, letting you find and view a website very fast.
Types of Domains
If you are making a website, you have to select the ideal website domain name. Domain name can be selected for the purpose of your business.
- com — Commercial businesses.
- org — Organizations (generally charitable).
- net — Network organizations.
- gov — U.S. government agencies.
- mil — Military.
- au — Australia.
- in — India.
Top Level Domains (TLDs)
The top-level domains (TLD) became known as domain name extensions and represent the highest level in the Domain Name System hierarchy. They include:
- .com : .com is a top-level domain in the Domain Name System of the Internet. Added in 1985, its name is derived from the word commercial, indicating its original intended purpose for domains registered by commercial organizations. Later, the domain opened for general purposes.
- .net : Derived from the word network, it was originally developed for companies involved in networking technology. … net is one of the most popular names used by companies all over the world to launch their business online.
- .edu : Educational institution. Sites using this name are schools ranging from kindergarten to higher education. If you take a look at your school’s URL you’ll notice that it ends with the domain .edu .
- .org :The domain name is truncated from organization. It is commonly used by non-profit organizations, open-source projects, and communities.
- .mil : The domain name .mil is the sponsored top-level domain (sTLD) in the Name System of the Internet for the United States Department of Defense and its subsidiary or affiliated organizations. The name is derived from military.
- .gov : The domain name .gov is a sponsored top-level domain in the Domain Name System of the Internet. The name is derived from the word government, indicating its restricted use by government entities.
Second level domain(SLDs)
In the Domain Name System hierarchy, a second-level domain is a directly below a top-level domain. For example, in example.com, example is the second-level domain of the .com TLD. Second-level domains commonly refer to the organization that registered the name with a domain name registrar. On top of these general second-level domains, there are also country code second-level domains (ccSLD). for example kuriousproton.in.
steps to buy a domain
Let’s assume you have a list of catchy, memorable, branded, and short names, and you’re ready to buy. Here are the steps for buying and registering your domain name.
1. Choose a Domain Registrar
Are you looking for the best registrars of 2021? Registrars are the companies responsible for registering and managing domain names for all websites around the world.
Choosing the right name, registrar is very important because there are so many ways to get tricked. In this article, we will show you how to choose the best domain registrar by comparing their pros and cons.
2. Find a Domain Availability
finding a domain availability is a bit difficult in 2021 because of the number of websites is continuously arising everyday. The next big thing after registering for the name is to check the availability of domain. This will tell you weather the domain name is available or not.
3. Choose the Best Name Option
When you’re checking for available names, you’ll often find that your first, second, and tenth choices are already taken. Some of the different approaches you can take when this happens are:
- Keep searching. Let your creative juices flow, and continue to search until you find something you love — or at least like.
- Choose another extension. If the .com isn’t available and you’re set on a certain name, consider the .net or .org if you think it will work.
- Reach out to the owner. Maybe the domain is already owned, but it’s not being put to much use. You could reach out to the owner with an offer.
4. Verify ownership
The last is to verify your ownership to your website. you will receive an email after you finish purchasing from the registrar to verify your account and that’s how you know how to buy a domain name.
Can we have multiple domains?
Buying multiple domains for your business can improve its online identity and protect your brand from fierce competitors. Keeping domain names out of the hands of competitors is just one of the reasons why it is a great idea to invest in multiple variations of your primary domain.
Instead of ranking with just one domain, you can rank with multiple domains. This increases the chances that a user will click on a result that links to a site you own. But if you want your brand to rank better, a multiple domain strategy might be for you.